- Employment tribunal and EAT statistics for the year April 2018 to March 2019
- What is the background to the annual report?
- What do the statistics for the year April 2018 to March 2019 show?
- Employment tribunal claims accepted
- Employment tribunal compensation awards
- Employment tribunal costs awards
- Appeals received by the Employment Appeal Tribunal
Statistics published by the Ministry of Justice show that for the financial year from April 2018 to March 2019 a total of 121,111 claims were accepted by employment tribunals, as compared with 109,685 last year. Compensation figures reveal that awards were made in 660 unfair dismissal claims (up 23% compared to 2017–18) and in 110 discrimination cases (as compared with 136 cases in 2017–18). The statistics include additional details per case type, including the largest award, the mean (average) award and the median award. Details of costs orders made are also included. In 2018–9, disability discrimination claims received the largest average (mean) award (£28,000) compared to other discrimination jurisdictions. The highest maximum award made in 2018–19 was for unfair dismissal at £948,000. Figures published for the EAT show that 1,291 appeals were received in 2018–19, an increase of 30% on those received in 2017–18.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial