- In brief: Enforcement of judgment by confession (Midtown Acquisitions v Essar Global Fund)
- Original news
- What are the practical implications of this case?
- What was this case about?
- What were the facts?
- Challenge to jurisdiction—is a judgment by confession a judgment?
- The need for lis
- Was the judgment final and conclusive?
- Was the judgment on the merits?
- Contractual waiver of right to object to jurisdiction
- Why was the summary judgment application allowed?
- Why were the English proceedings stayed?
- Case details
Dispute Resolution analysis: Teare J considered judgments by confession (New York judgment) and whether such judgments are enforceable in the English courts. He also decided to stay enforcement in this jurisdiction on the basis of the doctrine of comity, given the proximity of a decision by the New York court as to whether to stay enforcement.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial