How to obtain a writ of control—High Court judgments

The following Dispute Resolution practice note provides comprehensive and up to date legal information covering:

  • How to obtain a writ of control—High Court judgments
  • What is a writ of control?
  • When can I apply for a writ of control?
  • Where do I obtain a writ of control?
  • How do I file a request for issue of a writ of control?
  • Requesting a writ of control when transferring up from the County Court
  • What if the names and addresses in the request are different to those in the judgment?

How to obtain a writ of control—High Court judgments

This Practice Note concerns provisions of the CPR and related legislation (The Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007, The Taking of Goods Regulations 2013, SI 2013/1894 and The Taking of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014, SI 2014/1) which came into force on 6 April 2014.

For guidance on enforcing a High Court judgment by seizing a debtor’s possessions in relation to writs of fieri facias or warrants of control issued before 6 April 2014, see: Taking control of the debtor's goods—overview (under ‘transitional provisions’) and the archived content on writs of fieri facias: Seizing the debtor's possessions—obtaining writs of fi fa and warrants of execution and Seizing the debtor’s possessions—executing writs and warrants [Archived].

What is a writ of control?

A writ of control is a writ which confers a power to use the TCG (Taking Control of Goods) procedure, ie it is the writ that you will apply for if you have a High Court judgment or order for payment of a sum of money and you want to enforce it by taking control of the judgment debtor's goods and selling them and discharging the judgment debt from those sale proceeds.

It is therefore the replacement for the old writ of fieri facias.

If you have a County Court judgment or order that you are seeking to enforce by the TCG

Related documents:

Popular documents