- Abandoned buildings—what are the options?
- Is there a legal definition of abandoned?
- How do you go about trying to identify the owner of a building?
- If an owner of a building can't be found, what are the options for the building?
- If the building is sold, but then an owner is identified, can the owner reclaim the building or seek compensation?
- If an owner is identified, but the building has fallen into complete disrepair, can the owner be forced to repair/sell the building?
- Have there been any notable disputes around abandoned buildings?
- Could the government legislate to make it easier for individuals/local authorities to utilise abandoned buildings?
- What aspect of the current law would need to change?
Property analysis: Could steps be taken to unlock the potential of the UK’s seemingly abandoned buildings? Sharon Mathieson, partner in the property litigation team at Ward Hadaway, explains the law surrounding abandoned buildings in the UK.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial