- Admissibility of foreign court convictions in English courts (Daley v Bakiyev)
- Original news
- What was the background to the case?
- What issues were before the court?
- What did the court decide on the standard of proof?
- What was the court’s approach to the weighing-up of evidence and what inferences did it draw?
- What are the practical implications arising from this decision?
- What should practitioners advising in this area be mindful of in light of this judgment?
Dispute Resolution analysis: Is a conviction in a foreign court acceptable in subsequent English proceedings as proof of the facts on which the conviction was based? Joel Donovan QC, barrister at Cloisters, who appeared for the claimant, considers Daley v Bakiyev.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial