Employment Tax

Reporting requirements on leaving the UK

Produced by Tolley in association with Annette Morley
  • 22 Mar 2022 12:16

The following Employment Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley in association with Annette Morley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Reporting requirements on leaving the UK
  • Introduction
  • Practicalities ― employer
  • Moving to a different payroll for overseas employment
  • Where the foreign employment continues to be under the same UK employer
  • Overseas tax deductions
  • Practicalities ― employee
  • NIC reporting requirements

Reporting requirements on leaving the UK


Practical issues for payroll operation when employees are leaving the UK are covered in the Outbound employees ― payroll issues guidance note. A review of opportunities for UK employers to improve the tax consequences for themselves or their employees is in the Pre-departure planning from an employer’s perspective guidance note. This guidance note pulls together the mandatory steps that must be taken when an individual leaves the UK to take up employment overseas and those that would be wise to take to achieve the best objectives.

The overall requirements when an individual leaves the UK to work overseas vary depending on factors:

  1. how long the employment is expected to last

  2. in which country the employment will be located

  3. whether there will be more than one employer

  4. whether the employer(s) will be UK based or overseas

HMRC guidance leaflet CWG2 (updated annually) provides advice on RTI for employers. This includes the circumstance of an employee leaving the UK to work elsewhere in full or in part, but remaining employed by the UK entity. The HMRC guidance provides further practical assistance.

Practicalities ― employer

When the employee leaves to go abroad, the reporting requirements for the existing UK employer responsible for payroll differ depending on whether the individual will be on the payroll of a different employer (based in the UK or overseas) or continuing to be contractually employed solely by the same UK employer. The latter category includes the situation where there is an overseas company that administers the

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

There's no margin for error. Think Tax.
Think Tolley.

TolleyGuidance gives you direct access to critical, comprehensive and up-to-date tax information and expertise you can rely on.


Popular Articles

Utilising the capital gains tax annual exemption

Taxpayers may wish to consider basic tax planning arrangements in use the capital gains tax annual exemption. This type of tax planning is often reviewed at the end of the tax year.This guidance note first looks at the annual exemption in detail and then various tax planning strategies that might be

26 Apr 2022 10:42 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Effective tax rate planning

Calculation of the effective tax rateAn international group’s effective rate of tax is usually calculated as the amount of tax it pays divided by its consolidated profits. The effective tax rate depends largely on:•the rate of tax paid by each company in the group•the companies in which profits are

23 Mar 2022 10:51 | Produced by Tolley in association with Anne Fairpo Read more Read more

Transfer pricing rules ― overview

What is transfer pricing?Transfer pricing is the prices at which an enterprise transfers either physical goods, intangible property or services, including financing arrangements, to associated enterprises. Generally, enterprises are associated if there is direct or indirect control by one of the

23 Mar 2022 10:37 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more