Corporation Tax

Company tax returns ― making claims

Produced by Tolley
  • 23 Mar 2022 10:56

The following Corporation Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Company tax returns ― making claims
  • Overpayment relief claims
  • Exclusions ― where overpayment relief claim cannot be made
  • Form of overpayment claim
  • Special relief claims
  • Capital allowances claims
  • Format of claims not made in a return

Company tax returns ― making claims

There are a number of claims which may be made in a company tax return (or the relevant supplementary pages), including the following:

  1. utilisation of a company’s own losses

  2. surrender / relief of losses between group companies

  3. claims for capital allowances

  4. claims for research and development tax relief (RDEC or the repayable credit) ― see the R&D tax relief administration, interaction with other reliefs and anti-avoidance guidance note

FA 1998, Sch 18, Part VII, para 54

Claims may be amended within the normal time limit, which is 12 months following the usual filing date. See the Making amendments to company tax returns guidance note for further details about the process to follow.

Other claims not made on a CT600 include overpayment relief and special relief. These are covered in more detail below.

Overpayment relief claims

Essentially, overpayment relief provides a mechanism for amending errors or mistakes made in a tax return for a particular accounting period. A claim for overpayment relief can be made where a company has paid, or been assessed for, corporation tax which it believes is not due.

The claim must be made to HMRC within four years of the end of the relevant period for the repayment or discharge of tax. If a claim is refused, an appeal may be made in writing to the tribunal within 30 days of the notice of refusal.

Exclusions ― where overpayment relief claim cannot be made

The situations where an overpayment claim cannot be accepted are as follows:

  1. the mistake

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

There's no margin for error. Think Tax.
Think Tolley.

TolleyGuidance gives you direct access to critical, comprehensive and up-to-date tax information and expertise you can rely on.


Popular Articles

Settlor-interested trusts

What is a settlor-interested trust?A settlor-interested trust is one where the person who created the trust, the settlor, has kept for himself some or all of the benefits attaching to the property which he has given away. A straightforward example is where a settlor transfers assets to trustees for

23 Mar 2022 10:33 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Using the spouse exemption

Arguably, the most important exemption from IHT is the married couple / civil partner exemption.There is no IHT to pay on gifts from husband to wife and vice versa, or from one civil partner to the other (referred to collectively in this note as ‘spouses’). The exemption applies to inter-spouse

23 Mar 2022 10:52 | Produced by Tolley in association with Emma Haley at Boodle Hatfield LLP Read more Read more

Missing trader intra-community fraud (MTIC)

IP COMPLETION DAY: 11pm (GMT) on 31 December 2020 marked the end of the Brexit transition / implementation period entered into following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU. At this point in time, key transitional arrangements came to an end and significant changes began to take effect across the UK’s

30 Mar 2022 10:32 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more