Personal Tax

VAT on property acquisitions

Produced by Tolley
  • 08 Apr 2022 08:11

The following Personal Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • VAT on property acquisitions
  • Territorial scope
  • New build eligible property
  • Non-new eligible property
  • Protected buildings
  • Commercial property
  • Rental income
  • Option to tax
  • Construction services liable to VAT at the reduced rate
  • Conversion of property to an alternative residential use
  • More...

VAT on property acquisitions

The VAT treatment and considerations in relation to a property purchase depend on the type of property and whether the vendor has elected to waive his VAT exemption or ‘opt to tax’ as it is more commonly known.

This guidance note is intended to provide an overview of these considerations. A good summary can also be found in the Overview of VAT and property issues guidance note.

Territorial scope

For property situated abroad, the place of supply of the property transaction (and of any work on the property, such as conveyancing, etc) will be outside of the UK. This will therefore be outside of the scope of UK VAT, although there may of course be local VAT considerations and advice should be sought from a local VAT specialist.

For property that is situated in the UK, the UK VAT position will need to be considered. This will depend primarily on the nature of the property.

New build eligible property

For the investor purchasing a newly built eligible property, their purchase will be zero-rated for VAT purposes. This means that the developer who has sold the property will not charge any VAT on the sale, although they will be in a position to reclaim back the VAT they have incurred on their build costs (with a few specific exceptions). Note that ‘new’ in this context means the first grant of a major interest in an eligible property by the person who has constructed it.

An eligible property is:

  1. an eligible dwelling

  2. a building that

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Popular Articles

Use of capital losses

If an individual sells a chargeable asset and makes an allowable loss, how can this be relieved?First of all, since the simplification of capital gains tax from 6 April 2008, the proforma to calculate a loss is the same as the proforma to calculate a gain. See the Basic calculation principles of

26 Apr 2022 10:42 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Income tax during administration

Liability of the personal representativesAfter a person’s death, the property of the deceased is vested in the personal representatives (PRs) to enable them to manage and distribute the estate in accordance with the Will or the terms of intestacy. See the Personal representatives guidance note.The

23 Mar 2022 10:52 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Subsistence expenses

IntroductionSubsistence is the amount incurred as a consequence of business travel. Typically it relates to accommodation and meal costs incurred. These amounts are allowed because they are associated with the necessary travel. See the Travel expenses guidance note for more information of when

22 Mar 2022 12:13 | Produced by Tolley in association with Philip Rutherford Read more Read more