Corporation Tax

Taxation of film production companies

Produced by Tolley in association with Richard Palmer
  • 22 Dec 2021 16:13

The following Corporation Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley in association with Richard Palmer provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Taxation of film production companies
  • Introduction
  • Meaning of a film
  • Meaning of FPC
  • Co-productions
  • Taxation of film production companies
  • Calculation of income and costs
  • Costs of the film
  • Calculating profits and losses of separate film trade
  • Estimates
  • More...

Taxation of film production companies


Finance Act 1996 introduced a special regime for film production companies, now included in CTA 2009, ss 1188–1216. The legislation has two parts, firstly, legislation that applies to all companies regarding the recognition of income and costs and the treatment of losses, and a second part that provides for a repayable tax credit to the company where a qualifying film is produced. For details of the film tax credit, see the Film production company tax credits guidance note. Film production companies have their own HMRC tax manual, ‘Film Production Companies’ (FPC). Finance Act 2013 introduced a separate tax regime for companies producing television and animation programmes. See the Television tax reliefs ― key provisions guidance note for further details.

Meaning of a film

A film is defined in CTA 2009, s 1181 as being “a sequence of visual images that is capable of being used as a means of showing that sequence as a moving picture”. It includes images generated by computer and the soundtrack. It does not need to be a UK film.

Where the film production is a series, it will be treated as a single film provided it constitutes a self-contained work or a series of documentaries with a common theme, there are no more than 26 parts and the playing time is no more than 26 hours.

Meaning of FPC

To qualify as an FPC under CTA 2009, s 1182, the FPC must:

  1. be responsible for the pre-production, principal photography and the post production

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Think Tax.
Think Tolley.

Critical, comprehensive and up-to-date tax information


Popular Articles

Class 4 national insurance contributions

Class 2 and Class 4 national insurance contributions (NIC) are paid by self-employed individuals and partners in a partnership on their profits arising within the UK. This guidance note considers Class 4 contributions. For Class 2 contributions, see the Class 2 national insurance contributions

19 Oct 2021 22:37 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Property partnerships

OutlineFor income and capital gains tax purposes, partnerships are regarded as being tax transparent ― ie they are not taxed in their own right but instead taxation is applied to the partners.Accordingly, if the partners are individuals, then much the same considerations apply as for an individual

22 Dec 2021 21:31 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Pre-owned assets tax

Where a donor has made a gift of property and continues to use or benefit (or may benefit) from that property in some way, he may have made a gift with reservation of benefit for the purposes of inheritance tax (IHT).However, this will not be the case where:•a donor makes a gift of cash and the

19 Oct 2021 23:08 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more