Tax returns for partnerships

By Tolley

The following Owner-Managed Businesses guidance note by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Tax returns for partnerships
  • Registering partnerships
  • Submitting returns
  • Overseas partners in investment partnerships

Registering partnerships

When a partnership commences, HMRC should be notified as soon as possible.

Limited liability partnerships (LLP) and limited partnerships (LP) are automatically registered for self assessment by Companies House. However, all other partnerships will need to register with HMRC directly. This can be done online  or by using postal forms. The form that needs to be submitted is form SA400 .

Form SA400 should be submitted together with copies of form SA401  and form SA402 .

Where there is a delay in preparing these supplementary forms, form SA400 should be submitted regardless. The supplementary forms should then be submitted as soon as possible afterwards.

Forms should be sent by post to:

HM Revenue & Customs
National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
Self Employment and Self Assessment Registrations
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

It is not advisable to submit a covering letter as this will probably be disregarded and may slow the registration process down.

More on Tax returns: