Owner-Managed Businesses

Summary of reliefs for company losses

Produced by Tolley
  • 19 Oct 2021 08:13

The following Owner-Managed Businesses guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Summary of reliefs for company losses
  • Trading losses
  • Non-trading loan relationship deficits
  • Non-trading losses on intangible fixed assets
  • UK property business losses

Summary of reliefs for company losses

A company may incur any of the following losses:

  1. trading losses

  2. non-trading loan relationship losses

  3. non-trading losses on intangible fixed assets

  4. property losses

These losses are generally able to be offset against certain profits either in the year the loss was incurred, previous or future years. The rules governing such offset are similar for each loss source but there are nuances and claim requirements that differ depending upon the source of the loss.

From 1 April 2017, the loss carry forward rules were relaxed to allow carried forward losses to be offset against future total profits of a company. Prior to 1 April 2017, many losses brought forward had to be streamed in that if they were trading losses, they could only be set against future trading profits, etc. The reforms have resulted in two sets of rules that govern the use of carried forward losses ― one for losses arising prior to 1 April 2017 and one for losses arising on or af

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Think Tax.
Think Tolley.

Critical, comprehensive and up-to-date tax information


Popular Articles

‘Bed and breakfasting’ with shares

‘Bed and breakfasting’ was the pre-1998 practice of selling shares and repurchasing them the following day. This technique can still be used in a modified form to achieve capital gains tax (CGT) savings for current or future tax years using:•a spouse / civil partner•a self-invested pension plan

04 Jan 2022 11:11 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Permanent establishment

IntroductionA company that is not resident in the UK will only be subject to UK corporation tax if it carries on a trade in the UK through a permanent establishment. Where it does so, it will be subject to UK corporation tax on all profits that are attributable to the UK permanent establishment.

03 Nov 2021 16:11 | Produced by Tolley in association with Anne Fairpo Read more Read more

Class 4 national insurance contributions

Class 2 and Class 4 national insurance contributions (NIC) are paid by self-employed individuals and partners in a partnership on their profits arising within the UK. This guidance note considers Class 4 contributions. For Class 2 contributions, see the Class 2 national insurance contributions

19 Oct 2021 22:37 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more