Personal Tax

Short tax returns

Produced by Tolley
  • 30 Mar 2022 10:31

The following Personal Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Short tax returns
  • Who might receive a short tax return?
  • When should a main tax return be submitted for a taxpayer issued with a short tax return?
  • What if a short tax return is filed but a main tax return is due?
  • Filing a short tax return

Short tax returns

The short tax return was introduced in April 2005 with the aim of reducing the compliance burden for taxpayers with simple tax affairs.

The short tax return (form SA200) is a four-page document that covers the most common sources of income (employment, self-employment, pensions, investment income, UK property) as well as common reliefs (pension contributions, gift aid, personal allowances). Capital gains and losses are reported on the usual capital gains summary supplementary pages and submitted with the short tax return.

There is no facility on the short return to calculate the tax due, although a simple guide is included for taxpayers who want to make a rough calculation of the tax due.

It is not possible for a taxpayer (or the agent) to self-select a short tax return. This form is not available online, nor can it be ordered from the helpline. Therefore, it is not possible to provide a link to the short return within this guidance note. However, the short tax return guide is available online.

Who might receive a short tax return?

HMRC will issue the short return to certain taxpayers based on the entries in the previous tax return. Examples of the type of taxpayer who may be issued with a short return include employees (who are not directors) with taxable benefits, self-employed traders with turnover of less than the annual VAT registration threshold and pensioners who have pensions and straightforward investment income.

However, receiving a short tax return does not necessarily mean that a main tax return

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Popular Articles

Premiums on leases

OutlineWhen a property investor grants a lease, potentially this could be done on the basis that the tenant pays a premium for the initial grant of the lease, in addition to also paying rent over the term of the lease. In the absence of specific legislation to the contrary, such premiums would all

05 Apr 2022 08:42 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Repayment of tax ― individuals

If the self assessment tax return shows that a repayment is due, the taxpayer can claim a repayment or leave it as a credit on their statement of account.The quickest and safest method is for HMRC to make the payment direct to the taxpayer’s bank or building society account and so they are asked to

22 Mar 2022 09:44 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Capital allowances computations

Plant and machinery allowancesThree types of allowance are available for expenditure on plant and machinery:•the annual investment allowance (AIA), which currently provides a 100% allowance for the first £1,000,000 of expenditure per year, see the Annual investment allowance (AIA) guidance

24 Jun 2022 10:23 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more