Self assessment tax returns ― partners

Produced by Tolley

The following Owner-Managed Businesses guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Self assessment tax returns ― partners
  • Individual partners
  • Corporate partners
  • Partner disputes

Individual partners

Individual partners are deemed to be carrying on a notional trade in partnership.

This means that each partner must file an individual self assessment tax return reporting his individual allocation of income, gains, etc arising in the basis period for the tax year in question. The partnership supplementary pages (SA100 plus SA104S or SA104F) must also be filed with the self assessment tax return.

Class 2 and Class 4 national insurance contributions may also be payable by the partners, depending upon individual circumstances.

Note that, for the purposes of potential liability to national insurance, all partners (including sleeping and inactive partners) are treated as being ‘gainfully employed’. Therefore, they can be considered to be ‘self-employed earners’ for the purposes of SSCBA 1992, s 11 (liability to Class 2 contributions) and SSCBA 1992, s 15 (liability to Class 4 contributions).

For more detail

Popular documents