Personal Tax

Self assessment ― estimates and provisional figures

Produced by Tolley
  • 25 Feb 2022 15:16

The following Personal Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Self assessment ― estimates and provisional figures
  • Is the figure provisional or estimated?
  • Tax repayment
  • HMRC challenge to the estimated figures
  • Amending the provisional tax return
  • No change to the figures originally reported
  • Revised figures
  • Enquiry into the provisional tax return
  • Penalties

Self assessment ― estimates and provisional figures

If the taxpayer does not have sufficient information to enable them to complete the tax return in the time allowed, they should include either a best estimate or a provisional figure. The taxpayer should not either leave a box blank or enter ‘details to follow’ as HMRC will regard this as an incomplete return and the taxpayer will be liable to penalties for late filing. See the Penalties for late filing of the self assessment tax return guidance note.

However, HMRC does not accept that the use of estimated or provisional figures is justified if the taxpayer makes little or no effort to obtain the final figures before the filing deadline and may challenge the completeness of the return if it is suspected that this may be the case (see below).

Note that in many instances, sole traders will not need to mark figures as provisional or estimated, provided that they meet generally accepted accounting practice (GAAP). Profits of a trade must be calculated in accordance with GAAP unless the trader has elected to opt for the simplified cash basis. See the Adjustment of profits ― overview and Tax relief for provisions guidance notes. See also the Eligibility for the simplified cash basis guidance note.

Is the figure provisional or estimated?

There is an important distinction between estimated and provisional figures. A provisional figure is one which is the best available at the time the return is submitted (eg the business accounts are not yet signed off)

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Popular Articles

Settlor-interested trusts

What is a settlor-interested trust?A settlor-interested trust is one where the person who created the trust, the settlor, has kept for himself some or all of the benefits attaching to the property which he has given away. A straightforward example is where a settlor transfers assets to trustees for

01 Jun 2022 23:51 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

‘Bed and breakfasting’ with shares

‘Bed and breakfasting’ was the pre-1998 practice of selling shares and repurchasing them the following day. This technique can still be used in a modified form to achieve capital gains tax (CGT) savings for current or future tax years using:•a spouse / civil partner•a self-invested pension plan

29 Jun 2022 07:31 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Class 2 national insurance contributions

Class 2 and Class 4 NIC are payable by self-employed earners and partners in a partnership. This guidance note considers Class 2 contributions. For Class 4 contributions, see the Class 4 national insurance contributions guidance note.Class 2 NIC arise where a self-employed individual has income

23 Jun 2022 10:31 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more