Value Added Tax

NHS bodies ― recovering input tax incurred on business and non-business expenditure

Produced by Tolley
  • 19 Oct 2021 11:30

The following Value Added Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • NHS bodies ― recovering input tax incurred on business and non-business expenditure
  • Background
  • Business activities
  • Non-business activities
  • Recovering VAT
  • Taxable business activities
  • Exempt business activities
  • Non-business activities
  • Construction work costing less than £5,000
  • Capital building projects
  • More...

NHS bodies ― recovering input tax incurred on business and non-business expenditure

This guidance note provides an overview of what VAT can be recovered by NHS bodies on costs incurred for the purposes of their business and non-business activities. For more information on the supplies made by NHS bodies, please see the Hospitals and health institutions guidance note.


The majority of activities carried out by NHS bodies are statutory in nature and are therefore treated as non-business activities for VAT purposes. The main non-business activity carried out by an NHS body is the provision of healthcare services. NHS bodies can also carry out business activities, such as the supply of catering services, sale of goods from vending machines and any on-site shops, etc and they will be expected to charge VAT on the any taxable activities in the normal way.

The NHS body may also make some business supplies that will be exempt from VAT. Exempt supplies include the provision of private healthcare, financial services, certain land and property transactions, certain training and education services, etc. Please see the Exemption ― overview ― items that are exempt from VAT guidance note for a list of exempt supplies. It is important that the NHS body accurately differentiates between exempt and zero-rated supplies as VAT is not normally recoverable on costs incurred in connection with exempt supplies under the partial exemption rules. VAT incurred on costs can, however, be recovered in connection with zero-rated supplies made by an NHS body. Please see the Overview ― zero-rating guidance note for a list of zero-rated supplies.

NHS bodies are not subject to the normal VAT registration requirements. They can be identified because they have a special VAT registration number that begins with 654 followed by six digits.

Business activities

There are currently 23 activities listed in the Treasury Directions that are considered to be business activities of the NHS body. This list is not exhaustive and is intended to provide an

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Think Tax.
Think Tolley.

Critical, comprehensive and up-to-date tax information


Popular Articles

Legal and professional fees

Statutory references to ITTOIA 2005 relate to unincorporated businesses and CTA 2009 relate to companies unless otherwise stated.Legal and other professional fees can represent substantial costs to a business. A detailed analysis is often required for the purpose of preparing tax computations as

25 Oct 2021 07:03 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Married couple’s allowance

The married couple’s allowance (MCA) is only available if one of the two spouses or civil partners was born before 6 April 1935. This means that one member of the couple must be at least 87 years old on 5 April 2022 to qualify for an allowance in the 2021/22 tax year.There is a distinction in the

07 Jan 2022 08:41 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Change in ownership provisions

Restriction of carry forward and carry back of trading lossesFollowing the extensive changes to the loss carry forward provisions introduced from 1 April 2017, the anti-avoidance rules restricting the offset of trading losses following a change in ownership were tightened up and extended.

19 Oct 2021 08:12 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more