Employment Tax

Moving to and from non-agreement countries

Produced by Tolley in association with Jim Yuill at The Yuill Consultancy
  • 22 Oct 2021 10:40

The following Employment Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley in association with Jim Yuill at The Yuill Consultancy provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Moving to and from non-agreement countries
  • Employee leaving the UK to go to a non-agreement country
  • Liability in practice
  • Employer with no place of business in UK
  • Renewal of 52-week period of NIC liability
  • Voluntary NIC
  • Incoming employees from a non-agreement country
  • Exemption in practice
  • Renewal of 52-week exemption

Moving to and from non-agreement countries

Employee leaving the UK to go to a non-agreement country

Where an employee leaves the UK to go and work temporarily in a country with which the UK does not have a social security agreement, it is possible that a Class 1 NIC liability could continue for the first 52 weeks abroad. For that to be the case three conditions need to be satisfied:

  1. the employer has a place of business in the UK

  2. the earner is ordinarily resident in the UK

  3. the earner was resident in the UK immediately before the commencement of the foreign employment

SI 2001/1004, reg 146(1)

Where all three conditions are satisfied, primary and secondary Class 1 NIC is payable for 52 weeks from the beginning of the NIC week in which the foreign employment begins. It should be noted that this calculation is slightly different from that used to identify the period of exemption for employees coming to the UK from a non-agreement country. Employers who calculate the 52-week period of liability from the actual date of departure may create a period of liability longer than the legislation requires.

See Example 1.

Liability in practice

For the Class 1 NIC liability to arise, all three of the above conditions need to be satisfied. The residence status will usually be fairly clear (although it is worth remembering that the Statutory Residence Test for tax purposes has no application for NIC ― see the Residence and ordinary residence for social security purposes guidance note). Where an employee can be shown to have broken all ties with the UK, such as property and bank accounts, the whole family going abroad, and the period abroad will be four or five years, it is arguable that they are no longer ordinarily resident in the UK at the time of departure and the ongoing Class 1 liability does not arise. Although there is no formal clearance arrangement, HMRC International Caseworkers at Newcastle will usually be

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Think Tax.
Think Tolley.

Critical, comprehensive and up-to-date tax information


Popular Articles

Accumulation and maintenance trusts

What is an accumulation and maintenance trust?An accumulation and maintenance (A&M) trust is a particular type of settlement intended to make provisions for children and young adults up to the age of 25. The key feature is that trustees are given discretion over how to use the income for the benefit

22 Dec 2021 18:40 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Dividend waivers

In certain circumstances shareholders may wish to pay dividends other than in proportion to their shareholdings. This aim is typically achieved by one or more shareholders not taking a dividend when it is declared. To effect this, the relevant shareholders must waive their right to dividends from

25 Oct 2021 07:02 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Patent box tax regime ― overview

Introduction to the regimeThe aim of the patent box regime is to provide an incentive for companies to develop and retain patents and other qualifying intellectual property within the UK as part of the Government’s growth agenda. Finance Act 2012 originally introduced the legislation governing the

22 Dec 2021 16:12 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more