Employment Tax

Ministers of religion

Produced by Tolley
  • 21 Dec 2021 16:42

The following Employment Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Ministers of religion
  • Self assessment tax return
  • Other income
  • Living accommodation
  • Gifts and voluntary payments
  • Lower-paid ministers
  • National Minimum Wage

Ministers of religion

Most ministers of religion or members of the clergy are either office-holders or employees and so their earnings are taxable under ITEPA 2003 as employment income and are subject to Class 1 National Insurance.

For the purposes of the tax system, a minister does not have to belong to any particular religion or denomination, so could equally well be a Church of England vicar, a Roman Catholic priest, a rabbi or an imam. But a monk or nun does not count as a minister of religion for tax purposes, nor do ordinary lay people employed by a church or other religious organisations.

Where tax law or HMRC guidance talks about a ‘church’ in this context, it means any building specifically used as a place of worship, including a synagogue, mosque or temple.

The tax and National Insurance rules set out below only apply to ministers of religion who are currently working as such. If a minister of religion takes up a different type of job, for example as a teacher or church administrator, then he is subject to the normal tax rules.

Self assessment tax return

Although the employment income of a minister of religion is subject to PAYE in the normal way, there is a slight difference in the routine procedures if the minister is also within self assessment. There is a special supplementary page to the self assessment return, SA102M, which ministers of religion have to complete instead of an ordinary employment supplementary page. As with other pages of the

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Think Tax.
Think Tolley.

Critical, comprehensive and up-to-date tax information


Popular Articles

Using the spouse exemption

Arguably, the most important exemption from IHT is the married couple / civil partner exemption.There is no IHT to pay on gifts from husband to wife and vice versa, or from one civil partner to the other (referred to collectively in this note as ‘spouses’). The exemption applies to inter-spouse

19 Oct 2021 23:13 | Produced by Tolley in association with Emma Haley at Boodle Hatfield LLP Read more Read more

Requirement for estate accounts

Duty to prepare estate accountsThe Personal Representatives' (PRs) legal obligation to prepare accounts is set out in Section 25 of the Administration of Estates Act 1925. Their prescribed duties include:when required to do so by the Court, exhibit on oath in the Court a full inventory of the estate

21 Dec 2021 16:31 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Repayment of tax ― individuals

If the self assessment tax return shows that a repayment is due, the taxpayer can claim a repayment or leave it as a credit on their statement of account.The quickest and safest method is for HMRC to make the payment direct to the taxpayer’s bank or building society account and so they are asked to

28 Oct 2021 08:30 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more