Longer-term secondments to the UK

By Tolley in association with Paul Tew

The following Employment Tax guidance note by Tolley in association with Paul Tew provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Longer-term secondments to the UK
  • Length of stay in the UK
  • Apportioning PAYE
  • NIC position on long-term assignments in the UK

This note primarily covers the PAYE and National Insurance position of seconded employees working wholly or partly in the UK. The note does not cover other available relief from income tax for travel and subsistence payments commonly referred to as detached duty or temporary workplace relief associated with secondments of less than 24 months, relocation expenses and ‘home leave’ travelling expenses of an employee’s family, which are subject to special rules to qualify for relief. For more on those rules, see the Home leave and employee travel guidance note.

For the purposes of this note, a seconded employee is one who is:

  • working wholly or partly in the UK for a UK resident employer on assignment whilst remaining employed by an overseas employer
  • assigned to work wholly or partly in the UK at a recognised branch of his own employer’s business

An employee is always either resident or non-resident for a complete tax year, although split-year treatment may apply. If an individual is non-resident (see the Statutory residence test guidance note), only the earnings relating to UK workdays will be taxable in the UK (the non-UK earnings of a non-resident are not taxable, even if remitted to the UK). The concept of ‘ordinary residence’, which would have been applicable to employees undertaking longer-term secondments to the UK, is no longer relevant from 6 April 2013.

Length of stay in the UK

If the employee is seconded to the UK to work full-time for a period of 365 days or more, with no significant break from UK work, the individual will be treated as UK tax resident from the date of UK arrival to the date of their UK departure. The individual will therefore be treated as UK-resident for part of the

More on Coming to the UK: