Employment Tax

International social security administration

Produced by Tolley in association with Jim Yuill at The Yuill Consultancy
  • 14 Oct 2021 19:20

The following Employment Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley in association with Jim Yuill at The Yuill Consultancy provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • International social security administration
  • How to apply for certificates
  • Brexit
  • HMRC policing of arrangements
  • Payment in a foreign currency

International social security administration

How to apply for certificates

Requests for A1s or other certificates of coverage or continuing liability are usually made by the employer or their agent. They need to be made to HMRC Newcastle. The full address is:

HM Revenue & Customs
PT Operations North East England
International Caseworker
Telephone enquiries can now only be made via the general HMRC helpline numbers
Contact by email is usually not possible, although, on occasions, an official may provide an email address

Whilst applications can be made online, some certificates are still requested by post. Where an online application is made and a 64-8 authority form is required, this needs to be sent by post or a separate online form needs to be completed. (A facility allowing attachments to go with the application form is to be introduced.) There is a series of application forms depending on the type of certificate being requested and they are readily available on the GOV.UK website. The HMRC preference is that the forms are completed on screen then printed off and submitted along with any supporting documentation. Leaflet NI38 ‘Social Security Abroad’ also provides useful information. The main application forms for employers and employees are:

  1. CA3822 ― employee going from the UK to another EEA country or Switzerland

  2. CA8421 ― employee working regularly in two or more countries of the UK, EEA and Switzerland

  3. CA9107 ― employee going to a reciprocal agreement country

  4. CA3821 ― for completion by employer when making first ever request for a certificate and at regular intervals thereafter at the request of HMRC

Where an employee is going to work in another EU country for

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Think Tax.
Think Tolley.

Critical, comprehensive and up-to-date tax information


Popular Articles

What is input tax?

This guidance note provides an overview of what conditions need to be met before a business is entitled to treat VAT incurred as input tax. This note should be read in conjunction with the other notes in the ‘Claiming input tax’ subtopic. For a flowchart outlining the procedure for claiming input

19 Oct 2021 22:57 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

QIPs ― when do they apply?

This guidance note provides details of quarterly instalment payments (QIPs) for corporation tax purposes and which companies need to pay their tax liabilities in this manner.Generally, corporation tax is payable nine months and one day after the end of the relevant accounting period. However, large

19 Oct 2021 23:01 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Repayment of tax ― individuals

If the self assessment tax return shows that a repayment is due, the taxpayer can claim a repayment or leave it as a credit on their statement of account.The quickest and safest method is for HMRC to make the payment direct to the taxpayer’s bank or building society account and so they are asked to

28 Oct 2021 08:30 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more