Personal Tax

Foreign self-employment

Produced by Tolley
  • 21 Dec 2021 16:44

The following Personal Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Foreign self-employment
  • Is there an overseas operation?
  • Income tax
  • Generally
  • Moving overseas
  • Transferring assets
  • Capital gains tax
  • National insurance contributions (NIC)
  • Basic rule for Class 2 NIC
  • Displacement of the basic rule
  • More...

Foreign self-employment

Trading in another jurisdiction involves many issues, only some of which involve taxation. Advice should be taken, not only in relation to tax but on the wider business implications.

This note deals in broad outline with the tax issues facing a self-employed person who is trading overseas. It then considers some issues that are specific to partners.

The tax regime in the overseas country is also very important. Its specific rules, and the ways in which the two systems interact should both be explored before decisions are taken. This note does not discuss any tax issues that might arise in other jurisdictions.

Is there an overseas operation?

A sole trader or partnership that is based in the UK and merely sells goods or services to customers overseas is not normally subject to foreign taxes on profits. To be taxable there must generally have a permanent establishment. Different rules may apply for VAT, see below.

A permanent establishment is usually either a fixed place of business in the overseas country, or a ‘dependent agent’. A dependent agent is one who habitually exercises authority to do business on behalf of the UK enterprise. The meaning of permanent establishment is discussed in detail in the Permanent establishment guidance note.

If the UK business has premises overseas that are used only to store or display goods, or to hold them pending delivery or processing, this does not normally constitute a permanent establishment.

These definitions and requirements are drawn from articles 5 and 7 of the OECD model tax treaty,

Access this article and thousands of others like it
free for 7 days with a trial of TolleyGuidance.

Think Tax.
Think Tolley.

Critical, comprehensive and up-to-date tax information


Popular Articles

Substantial shareholding exemption: overview

The substantial shareholding exemption (SSE) provides a complete exemption from the liability to corporation tax on the gains generated from qualifying disposals of shares and interests in shares by qualifying companies. Conversely, if losses are generated by the disposal and the SSE conditions are

19 Oct 2021 22:56 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Winding up a trust

When does a trust come to an end?A trust may come to an end because it has run its course and comes to a natural end. If a trust has no assets , it ceases to exist. Alternatively, a trust ends because the trustees or beneficiaries decide to wind it up: the trustees distribute the assets by

03 Nov 2021 11:52 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more

Coronavirus (COVID-19), statutory sick pay (SSP) and NIC

Following Spring Budget 2020, statutory sick pay (SSP) rules were changed temporarily to help workers affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. The Chancellor confirmed the Prime Minister’s previous announcement that SSP will be paid from day 1 rather than day 4. Updated guidance on the

21 Dec 2021 17:30 | Produced by Tolley Read more Read more