Company tax returns

Produced by Tolley

The following Corporation Tax guidance note Produced by Tolley provides comprehensive and up to date tax information covering:

  • Company tax returns
  • Corporation tax self-assessment
  • Which form should be used when filing a company tax return?
  • Accounting periods for corporation tax
  • Company tax calculation
  • Provisional and estimated figures
  • Filing deadline for company tax returns
  • Filing the return
  • Late filing penalties
  • When is a company tax return considered to be delivered to HMRC?
  • More...

Company tax returns

This guidance note provides information in respect of the various administrative aspects of company tax returns, often referred to as corporation tax returns. If a company or organisation is subject to corporation tax, a company tax return must be submitted for each accounting period. In the main, a return will be required even if taxable profits have not been generated during the accounting period.

For ease of reference in this guidance note, ‘company’ includes entities which are not strictly companies but are within the charge to corporation tax, eg unincorporated associations. See the Charge to corporation tax guidance note for further details on which entities are chargeable.

A company tax return consists of form CT600, together with any supplementary pages and other relevant information. Completed returns, together with all relevant supporting documentation, must be filed online via the Government gateway using an HMRC online account.

Paper returns are only acceptable if there is a reasonable excuse for being unable to file online or if the company files are in Welsh. In these situations, the company must submit form WT1 to explain why the paper form was used.

For full details of the information that must be submitted with the tax return, see the Documents to accompany tax return guidance note.

Corporation tax self-assessment

It is the responsibility of the company to calculate how much corporation tax is due for each accounting period.

HMRC usually issues a Notice to deliver a corporation tax return (form CT603) shortly after the end of the company’s accounting period.

If this notice is not received, HMRC must be notified in writing within 12 months of the end of the period that the company is chargeable. If the company fails to give notice, it is liable to a penalty.

HMRC maintains a record of all companies, called COTAX which is split between live and dormant companies. Notices to file a company tax return are only issued to live companies. However, a periodic review

Popular documents