Female Genital Mutilation (FGM): Law and Practice
This specialist title, written in close consultation with survivors of FGM and frontline practitioners from across the spectrum of disciplines, provides a comprehensive and readily accessible guide to all of these matters
Select a format
Why should you buy Female Genital Mutilation (FGM): Law and Practice
Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is now widely recognised, both domestically and internationally, as child abuse and a serious human rights violation. However, it remains a practice shrouded in secrecy and one which all too often has escaped the reaches of the child protection system. It is vital in order to prevent FGM that all relevant professionals have a clear understanding of the socio-cultural reasons for the practice, the factors which may indicate a girl or young woman is at real risk of being forced to undergo FGM and of the effective preventative legal steps that should be taken.
This specialist title, written in close consultation with survivors of FGM and frontline practitioners from across the spectrum of disciplines, provides a comprehensive and readily accessible guide to all of these matters. Set within a human rights framework, this book summarises the key legal developments and debates across international law, family law, immigration and criminal law.
Female Genital Mutilation: Law and Practice is an invaluable guide to this complex and sensitive topic for judges, lawyers, social workers, teachers, midwives, and other related professionals.
Table of contents
- Statistical Overview
- International Legal Framework
- Criminal Offences and Guidance for Police Authorities
- Medicalisation of FGM
- Female Genital Mutilation Protection Order
- Mandatory Reporting
- Public Law Intervention and Safeguarding Responsibilities
- Medical Examinations and Specialist Services
- Immigration and Asylum Issues
- Resources and Useful Contacts
- Application for a Female Genital Mutilation Protection Order
- National FGM Centre: Assessment of a Case
- Female Genital Mutilation and its Management
- FGM Safeguarding Pathway
- Summary of the OHCHR Report on Human Rights and the Practice of
- Female Genital Mutilation and Excision in Guinea