Non—molestation and occupation orders—client guide
Non—molestation and occupation orders—client guide

The following Family precedent provides comprehensive and up to date legal information covering:

  • Non—molestation and occupation orders—client guide

This document provides general guidance regarding injunctions to protect from domestic abuse available in the family courts. Your family lawyer will be able to provide specific advice based on your circumstances.

Family homes and domestic abuse

If you are suffering from violence, threats or intimidation, it is possible to apply in the family courts for an injunction to help protect you. There are two types of injunction:

  1. non-molestation order

  2. occupation order

What is a non-molestation order?

A non-molestation order prohibits your partner or spouse from using or threatening violence against you or your children, or intimidating, harassing or pestering you. It can contain very specific provisions depending on the particular type of harassment happening to you.

Who can apply?

To apply for a non-molestation order you must be an associated person, which is defined in the applicable legislation. Former and current spouses, civil partners and cohabitants are included, as well as fiancé(e)s, relatives, people living in the same household, the parents of children in the house and those who have been in intimate personal relationships of significant duration. Your family lawyer will be able to advise you whether you can apply.

What is the procedure?

The person applying to court for the injunction must

Related documents:

Popular documents