- Work of art—tattoos in the workplace
- Original News
- What does the latest report from Acas say about the presence of tattoos/body art at work?
- Are tattoos/body art a particular problem in the legal industry and what challenges does it pose for firms attempting to manage employee appearances while preserving a company image and meeting client expectations?
- Are tattoos and body art covered by equality legislation in the UK, if not, in what circumstances can an employer legitimately dismiss an employee for reasons relating to their appearance?
- Do you have any specific advice for firms/employers on how to manage these difficulties and enforce their company dress code policy in a fair and proportionate way (eg, should employers clearly state before an employee accepts a position what their expectations are)?
- Do you expect the rules on this to soften in the future?
Employment analysis: Amy Jones, senior solicitor at Thorntons Law LLP, picks out the key points of a new Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas) report on tattoos in the workplace.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial