- Repackaging the tobacco industry
- Original news
- What is the background to this case?
- What issues did this case raise?
- What did the CJEU decide in relation to the arguments concerning the adoption of the Tobacco Products Directive?
- How does the CJEU ruling compare with the Advocate General’s (AG) opinion in the case?
- To what extent is the judgment helpful in clarifying the law in relation to standardisation of the labelling and packaging of tobacco products, prohibition on menthol cigarettes and specific rules for e-cigarettes respectively?
- What guidance does the judgment provide in relation to the interpretation of EU directives and the associated principles of EU law?
- What are the key takeaways for lawyers advising businesses operating in this market?
- Are there any patterns/trends emerging in the law in this area? How does this case fit in that context?
IP & IT analysis: The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) recently ruled that the Tobacco Products Directive is valid. Colin Bell, partner at Brabners, considers the background to the cases behind the decision and the implications for the tobacco industry.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial