- Renationalisation—the water industry
- Original news
- What are the key arguments for and against nationalising the water industry?
- WaterUK’s recent survey revealed a big drop in support for nationalisation in consumers. How have water companies managed to create such trust from their customers? Please include specific events and instances where necessary.
- What is the impact of debate over potential nationalisation on the sector? What would be the impact of such nationalisation?
- What has been the impact of Labour’s leaked briefing paper (in which it proposes to buy back the water industry from private companies for £20bn) on the water industry?
- Why is the industry discussing it now?
- How likely is renationalisation of the water industry? Why/why not?
Environment analysis: As part of a series on the continued debate around renationalisation, we analyse the current sentiment in the water industry and the potential impact of renationalisation. Steve Gummer, partner at Sharpe Pritchard, considers the reasons for the recent discussion on nationalising the water industry, the arguments for and against it, and examines what legal avenues the government could take to renationalise the sector.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial