- New route to conviction against sellers of pre-loaded equipment (Stichting Brein v Jack Frederik Wullems)
- Original news
- Briefly, what was the background to this case?
- What questions were referred to the Court of Justice?
- What were the findings of the court?
- What are the practical implications of the court’s decision? Does it potentially have wider ramifications for the ‘multimedia’ platform?
- What should IP and IT practitioners take away from this case?
IP & IT analysis: Discussing the Court of Justice’s judgment in Stichting Brein, Ari Alibhai, a barrister at QEB Hollis Whiteman Chambers, points out that while it is highly significant in terms of strengthening a prosecutor’s hand in prosecuting illicit IPTV, it is not a panacea for rights holders in this rapidly escalating area of internet piracy.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial