- Netherlands must reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2020, Hague Court of Appeal rules (State of Netherlands v Urgenda Foundation)
- Original news
- What is the background to this case being brought in the Dutch courts?
- What did the court decide?
- What implications could a case like this have for other countries, and specifically the UK?
- The decision was made a day after the UN Climate Change special report. In your view, could this type of action help turn the tide towards implementing the ‘unprecedented changes to all aspects of society’ that the report says is needed to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees celsius?
Environment analysis: Victory for environmentalists in a Dutch climate change case looks to have set the parameters for further global litigation on curbing greenhouse gas emissions. Krishnendu Mukherjee, barrister at Doughty Street Chambers, describes the unique case of State of Netherlands v Urgenda Foundation.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial