- Intersex athletes—re-examining gender verification in sport
- What is the background to this issue and why has it proven controversial?
- What did the IAAF study find and what impact might this have on the future participation of athletes whose gender has been called into question?
- Will it have any impact on the World Championships taking place in London in August 2017?
- What bearing might this study have on the so called IAAF ‘hyperandrogenism regulations’ which are currently suspended pending further evidence?
Arbitration analysis: Caster Semenya, the female Olympic 800m champion, may be banned from future international competitions following a new study into the competitive advantages obtained by female athletes with very high levels of naturally occurring testosterone. Arran Dowling-Hussey, barrister at 33 Bedford Row Chambers in London, examines the background to the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) study and discusses the implications for participation in sport.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial