- ICSID tribunal declines jurisdiction over talc mining investment treaty dispute (EuroGas Inc & Belmont Resources Inc v Slovak Republic)
- Original news
- What was the background to the dispute? On what grounds did the investors claim against Slovakia?
- What did the state argue in response?
- What did the tribunal decide on jurisdiction?
- Although not decided in the award, was there anything of interest on the merits?
- On what basis did Professor Gaillard dissent?
- What are the implications of the award for investment arbitration practitioners?
Arbitration analysis: Stephen Anway, partner and co-head of investment arbitration at Squire Patton Boggs (US) who represented Slovakia in EuroGas Inc & Belmont Resources Inc v Slovak Republic, explains the background to the dispute, and why the case marks new ground in issues of transparency, third party funding and international jurisprudence.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial