- Foster parents are workers but are excluded from the Working Time Directive (Sindicatul Familia Constanța)
- What are the practical implications of this judgment?
- What is the relevant background?
- Background law
- Background facts
- The decision of the national court and the questions referred
- The Advocate General’s Opinion
- What did the ECJ decide?
- Case details
Employment analysis: Foster parents are workers under EU law (as they perform services for and under the direction of another person in return for which they receive remuneration) but the characteristics peculiar to their work (eg the fact that they perform their activity continuously) means that they are excluded from the Working Time Directive 2003/88/EC applying to them, according to the ECJ.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial