- Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011—a refresher
- What are the key provisions in FTPA 2011?
- Why were they introduced?
- What does FTPA 2011 say about the circumstances in which an early election can be called? What would need to happen before it could be called?
- Are any of the provisions in FTPA 2011 unclear in terms of interpretation/open to debate or challenge?
Public Law analysis: With the UK Prime Minister’s resignation following the EU referendum raising questions regarding the possibility of a UK general election being held sooner than 2020, Abigail Bright, barrister at Doughty Street Chambers, provides a timely reminder of the key provisions of the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 (FTPA 2011).
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial