- EU reform—legal aspects of the UK and EU settlement
- What is the latest news on the EU referendum?
- What legislative developments have taken place in preparation for the referendum?
- What exactly is the legal form of the deal to reform UK's relationship with the EU? Is it a new Treaty?
- Will it then be a Decision of the European Council?
- But if the planned 'Decision' is not a Decision of the European Council, what is it?
- Is there a precedent that such decisions are binding in EU law?
- Is it an agreement that could be binding purely in international law?
- So is it a purely informal decision?
- Sounds quite complicated. What is the government saying about it?
- What is next on the agenda in February?
- If an agreement is reached, when is the referendum expected to take place?
Public Law analysis: Pavlos Eleftheriadis, barrister at Francis Taylor Building, considers the legal form of the deal to reform UK’s relationship with the EU and tackles puzzling questions of legal construction.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial