- Diving beneath the Natura 2000 framework
- What is the extent of protection offered when an area is designated as a marine protected area?
- What impact do these protections have on commercial activities in these waters (eg shipping, fishing, extraction)?
- Is there a penalty regime for breaching the protections? How does this operate in practice?
- Can a local population or body apply for a zone to be protected as a marine conservation area? If so, what is required to support an application?
Environment analysis: How is the protection of marine habitats framed under the Natura 2000 framework? Catherine Weller, biodiversity programme lawyer and wildlife team conservation project lead at ClientEarth, discusses the recent legal developments concerning the UK’s marine protected areas established under the Natura 2000 framework.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial