- Did the UK fail to comply with waste water treatment obligations?
- Original news
- What issues did this case raise?
- What were the key legal issues?
- To what extent is the judgment helpful in clarifying the law in this area?
- What are the implications for lawyers?
- Are there still any unresolved issues?
Environment analysis: The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has ruled that combined sewage overflows discharging untreated sewage into the sea contravened the Waste Water Directive, a fact long contested by the UK government. Gordon Nardell QC of Thirty Nine Essex Street examines the issues surrounding this case which has taken 12 years to decide, and how the government was defeated on each of its arguments.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial