- Desirability of proceeding against all defendants in the same jurisdiction takes libel claim over section 9 jurisdiction hurdle (Soriano v Forensic News)
- What are the practical implications of this case?
- What was the background?
- What did the court decide?
- Application for relief from sanctions
- Application for permission to serve out—libel proceedings
- Application for permission to serve out—misuse of private information proceedings
- Case details
TMT analysis: This judgment follows the second hearing of the claimant’s application for permission to serve proceedings out of the jurisdiction, which relates to the claim against the sixth defendant in the proceedings. The application was refused in relation to the misuse of private information claim, but granted in relation to the defamation proceedings. Although the claimant failed to demonstrate that England and Wales is a more appropriate place to bring the action than Washington, USA, permission was granted in the light of the fact that the claims against the first to fifth defendants are proceeding in England. Written by Mathilde Groppo, associate at Carter-Ruck Solicitors.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial