- Culpable drivers excluded from compensation compatible with EU law (Neto de Sousa v Portugal)
- Original news
- What is the significance of this decision?
- What was the factual and procedural background to the case?
- What are the relevant provisions of EU law?
- What issue was before the Court of Justice?
- What did the Court of Justice decide, and why?
- How does the decision fit in with other developments in this area of law?
Personal Injury analysis: Is national legislation that excludes motorists who cause road traffic accidents from compensation which would otherwise be payable for the death of their spouse incompatible with EU law? Nick Rogers, head of the motor practice group at the insurance and dispute resolution law firm BLM, and Andrew Guirguis, solicitor, consider the recent case of Neto de Sousa v Portugal.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial