- Brexit and the EU27—a view from Italy
- What could Brexit mean for Italy and how could the relationship with the UK change?
- What are the priority issues in the Brexit negotiations from Italy’s point of view and why? Why are they so significant?
- Aside from Brexit, what are the key domestic priorities in Italy? How might Brexit impact on this?
- What are likely to be the key challenges with the negotiations?
- What form of relationship and type of trade model is Italy likely to favour in the future? Will they prefer ‘hard’ or ‘soft’ Brexit?
- Are there any other developments on the horizon, which could have an impact on Brexit from your perspective?
Public Law analysis: With the EU institutions and the EU27 Member States assessing the potential fallout from Brexit, this series continues our exploration of the effect of the UK’s exit from the EU on different jurisdictions across Europe. With its own Eurosceptic troubles to manage, Italy now sees on the one hand a domino-effect in the event of a favourable UK exit from the EU, and on the other the possibility of a cautionary tale that prompts remaining EU members towards ever closer union. Eleonora Poli, a researcher with the Institute of International Affairs (IAI) in Rome, outlines an Italian view on the UK referendum.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial