- Brexit and the EU27—a view from Greece
- What could Brexit mean for Greece and how could the relationship with the UK change? What domestic priorities is Greece dealing with alongside Brexit?
- What are the priority issues in the Brexit negotiations from Greece’s point of view and why? Why are they so significant?
- What form of relationship and type of trade model is Greece likely to favour in the future? Will they prefer ‘hard’ or ‘soft’ Brexit?
- What are likely to be the key challenges with the negotiations? Are there any lessons to be learned from Greek negotiations with the EU and what other developments do you foresee becoming important?
Public Law analysis: With the EU institutions and the EU27 Member States assessing the potential fallout from Brexit, this series continues our exploration of the effect of the UK’s exit from the EU on different jurisdictions across Europe. Drawing on lessons from Greek negotiations with the EU, observers in Athens will hope that the EU’s big players can deliver a soft Brexit that nonetheless dissuades other countries carving out bespoke relations contrary to the principles of union. Thanos Dokos, director at the Hellenic Foundation for European & Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP) in Athens, assesses issues that could redefine Europe and the UK’s roles on the global stage.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial