- Are whole life sentences compatible with human rights law? (Hutchinson v UK)
- Original news
- What is the background to this case?
- What did the court decide and why? What was the reasoning behind the decision?
- What approaches are other jurisdictions taking in relation to whole life tariffs?
- Is the Hutchinson decision surprising?
- Is this likely to be the final resolution of this issue?
- What are the implications of the decision?
Public Law analysis: Discussing the European Court of Human Rights’ (ECtHR) judgment in Hutchinson v UK, Simon Creighton, a partner at Bhatt Murphy Solicitors, says that although the number of prisoners affected by the outcome are very small, the philosophical and practical issues that arise in respect of sentencing and parole in this area are profound as they go to the root of the very purpose of imprisonment.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial