- Appeal court confirms commission of PrEP is within NHS England’s powers
- What is the background to this judgment?
- Does this judgment mean that NHS England will be obliged to fund PrEP?
- What are the next steps for NHS England? Are they likely to appeal the ruling?
- Does the ruling change the position of local authorities providing public health services?
- What, if anything, should lawyers working in this area be doing now?
Local Government analysis: The Court of Appeal has confirmed a first instance decision that NHS England does have the power to commission Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), the preventative HIV drug. Georgia Ford, associate, and Julia Tracy, solicitor, at Hempsons, consider the next steps both for NHS England and practitioners advising public health bodies in this area.
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial