- Analysing data protection laws on creation and sharing of deepfakes
- What is the relevance of UK data protection law to the creation or sharing of deepfakes? Is a deepfake likely to be personal data?
- To what extent is UK data protection law likely to provide actionable remedies in practice for those that are the victims of malicious or misleading deepfakes?
- Are there any grey areas?
- What official guidance is available (eg from the EDPB or ICO) regarding these issues?
TMT analysis: Judit Garrido-Fontova, associate at Kemp Little, discusses the data protection law in relation to the creation and sharing of deepfakes, what remedies are available, and considers guidance provided by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and the European Data Protection Board (EDPB).
Sign in or take a trial to read the full analysis.
To continue reading this news article, as well as thousands of others like it, sign in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial