(1) An employee who is suspended from work by his employer on medical grounds is entitled to be paid by his employer remuneration while he is so suspended for a period not exceeding twenty-six weeks.
(2) For the purposes of this Part an employee is suspended from work on medical grounds if he is suspended from work in consequence of—
(a) a requirement imposed by or under a provision of an enactment or of an instrument made under an enactment, or
(b) a recommendation in a provision of a code of practice issued or approved under section 16 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974,
and the provision is for the time being specified in subsection (3).
(3) The provisions referred to in subsection (2) are—
Regulation 16 of the Control of Lead at Work Regulations 1980,
[Regulation 25 of the Ionising Radiations Regulation 2017 [SI 2017/1075]], and
Regulation 11 of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 1988.
(4) The Secretary of State may by order add provisions to or remove provisions from the list of provisions specified in subsection (3).
(5) For the purposes of this Part an employee shall be regarded as suspended from work on medical grounds only if and for so long as he—
(a) continues to be employed by his employer, but
(b) is not provided with work or does not perform the work he normally performed before the suspension.
**Trials are provided to all LexisPSL and LexisLibrary content, excluding Practice Compliance, Practice Management and Risk and Compliance, subscription packages are tailored to your specific needs. To discuss trialling these LexisPSL services please email customer service via our online form. Free trials are only available to individuals based in the UK. We may terminate this trial at any time or decide not to give a trial, for any reason. Trial includes one question to LexisAsk during the length of the trial.
To view the latest version of this document and millions of others like it, sign-in to LexisLibrary or register for a free trial.
Existing user? Sign-in
Take a free trial
Take a free trial
0330 161 1234