(1) This Part applies to—
(a) the processing by an intelligence service of personal data wholly or partly by automated means, and
(b) the processing by an intelligence service otherwise than by automated means of personal data which forms part of a filing system or is intended to form part of a filing system.
(2) In this Part, “intelligence service” means—
(a) the Security Service;
(b) the Secret Intelligence Service;
(c) the Government Communications Headquarters.
(3) A reference in this Part to the processing of personal data is to processing to which this Part applies.
(1) In this Part, “controller” means the intelligence service which, alone or jointly with others—
(a) determines the purposes and means of the processing of personal data, or
(b) is the controller by virtue of subsection (2).
(2) Where personal data is processed only—
(a) for purposes for which it is required by an enactment to be processed, and
(b) by means by which it is required by an enactment to be processed,
the intelligence service on which the obligation to process the data is imposed by the enactment (or, if different, one of the enactments) is the controller.
(3) In this Part, “processor” means any person who processes personal data on behalf of the controller (other than a person who is an employee of the controller).
(1) This section defines other expressions used in this Part.
**Trials are provided to all LexisPSL and LexisLibrary content, excluding Practice Compliance, Practice Management and Risk and Compliance, subscription packages are tailored to your specific needs. To discuss trialling these LexisPSL services please email customer service via our online form. Free trials are only available to individuals based in the UK. We may terminate this trial at any time or decide not to give a trial, for any reason. Trial includes one question to LexisAsk during the length of the trial.
To view the latest version of this document and millions of others like it, sign-in to LexisLibrary or register for a free trial.
Existing user? Sign-in
Take a free trial
Take a free trial
0330 161 1234