(1) This Part applies to—
(a) the processing by a competent authority of personal data wholly or partly by automated means, and
(b) the processing by a competent authority otherwise than by automated means of personal data which forms part of a filing system or is intended to form part of a filing system.
(2) Any reference in this Part to the processing of personal data is to processing to which this Part applies.
(3) For the meaning of “competent authority”, see section 30.
(1) In this Part, “competent authority” means—
(a) a person specified or described in Schedule 7, and
(b) any other person if and to the extent that the person has statutory functions for any of the law enforcement purposes.
(2) But an intelligence service is not a competent authority within the meaning of this Part.
(3) The Secretary of State may by regulations amend Schedule 7—
(a) so as to add or remove a person or description of person;
(b) so as to reflect any change in the name of a person specified in the Schedule.
(4) Regulations under subsection (3) which make provision of the kind described in subsection (3)(a) may also make consequential amendments of section 73(4)(b).
(5) Regulations under subsection (3) which make provision of the kind described in subsection (3)(a), or which make provision of that kind and of the kind described in subsection (3)(b), are subject to the affirmative resolution procedure.
**Trials are provided to all LexisPSL and LexisLibrary content, excluding Practice Compliance, Practice Management and Risk and Compliance, subscription packages are tailored to your specific needs. To discuss trialling these LexisPSL services please email customer service via our online form. Free trials are only available to individuals based in the UK. We may terminate this trial at any time or decide not to give a trial, for any reason. Trial includes one question to LexisAsk during the length of the trial.
To view the latest version of this document and millions of others like it, sign-in to LexisLibrary or register for a free trial.
Existing user? Sign-in
Take a free trial
Take a free trial
0330 161 1234