(1) This Act makes provision about the processing of personal data.
(2) Most processing of personal data is subject to the GDPR [UK GDPR].
(3) Part 2 supplements the GDPR (see Chapter 2) and applies a broadly equivalent regime to certain types of processing to which the GDPR does not apply (see Chapter 3) [UK GDPR].
(4) Part 3 makes provision about the processing of personal data by competent authorities for law enforcement purposes and implements the Law Enforcement Directive.
(5) Part 4 makes provision about the processing of personal data by the intelligence services.
(6) Part 5 makes provision about the Information Commissioner.
(7) Part 6 makes provision about the enforcement of the data protection legislation.
(8) Part 7 makes supplementary provision, including provision about the application of this Act to the Crown and to Parliament.
(1) The GDPR, the applied GDPR [UK GDPR] and this Act protect individuals with regard to the processing of personal data, in particular by—
(a) requiring personal data to be processed lawfully and fairly, on the basis of the data subject's consent or another specified basis,
(b) conferring rights on the data subject to obtain information about the processing of personal data and to require inaccurate personal data to be rectified, and
(c) conferring functions on the Commissioner, giving the holder of that office responsibility for monitoring and enforcing their provisions.
**Trials are provided to all LexisPSL and LexisLibrary content, excluding Practice Compliance, Practice Management and Risk and Compliance, subscription packages are tailored to your specific needs. To discuss trialling these LexisPSL services please email customer service via our online form. Free trials are only available to individuals based in the UK. We may terminate this trial at any time or decide not to give a trial, for any reason. Trial includes one question to LexisAsk during the length of the trial.
To view the latest version of this document and millions of others like it, sign-in to LexisLibrary or register for a free trial.
Existing user? Sign-in
Take a free trial
Take a free trial
0330 161 1234