Non-EEA nationals—permission to enter and work in the UK
Non-EEA nationals—permission to enter and work in the UK

The following Employment guidance note provides comprehensive and up to date legal information covering:

  • Non-EEA nationals—permission to enter and work in the UK
  • Permission to enter the UK
  • Permission to work in the UK
  • Visitors
  • Overseas business representatives, domestic workers, Commonwealth citizens
  • Start-ups and Innovators
  • Derivative rights of residence

UPDATE: On 19 December 2018 the Home Office published a White Paper: The UK’s future skills-based immigration system, setting out the government’s plans to introduce a new single immigration system ending freedom of movement into the UK from the EU, EEA and Switzerland once the UK leaves the EU. Publication of the White Paper was followed by introduction of the Immigration and Social Security Co-ordination (EU Withdrawal) Bill in Parliament. The legislation is intended to reflect the cessation of rights of free movement of persons in UK law and to modify/repeal relevant retained EU legislation relating to immigration and social security coordination accordingly following Brexit. See: LNB News 19/12/2018 139 and Practice Note: Immigration after Brexit: the government White Paper. This Bill was one of those which fell away when Parliament was prorogued on 8 October 2019, but was reintroduced in the Queen’s Speech on 14 October 2019, see: LNB News 14/10/2019 64.

Permission to enter the UK

Although nationals of countries in the European Economic Area have a right to live and work in the UK (the right of residence), it is generally the case that nationals of countries outside the EEA do not. Those from outside the EEA generally require permission to enter the UK.

There are exceptions:

  1. Swiss