The following Corporate Q&A provides comprehensive and up to date legal information covering:
This Q&A looks at some of the legal issues and considerations raised when a shareholder with 70% of the shares in a private limited company (Mr X) would like to leave the company against the wishes of the other, 30%, shareholder (Mr Y), where both shareholders are also the only directors of the company and where the situation is not covered in the company’s articles of association or any shareholders’ agreement. We cover:
Mr X giving up office as a director, and
possible exit options available to Mr X, both under the Companies Act 2006 (CA 2006) and otherwise
Neither the CA 2006 nor the model articles contain any specific provisions about how a director may resign. Subject to any specific provisions in the company's articles of association or any contract of employment, it is usual practice for a director to resign by way of a resignation letter addressed to the other directors of the company. See further: Appointment, retirement and resignation of a director—Resignation of a director.
For a sample director's resignation letter, see precedent: Letter—resignation from directorship.
In the absence of any special provisions to the contrary in the company’s articles of association or any shareholders agreement, Mr Y would have no right or power to refuse or
Free trials are only available to individuals based in the UK
Complete all the fields above to proceed to the next step.
**Trials are provided to all LexisPSL and LexisLibrary content, excluding Practice Compliance, Practice Management and Risk and Compliance, subscription packages are tailored to your specific needs. To discuss trialling these LexisPSL services please email customer service via our online form. Free trials are only available to individuals based in the UK. We may terminate this trial at any time or decide not to give a trial, for any reason. Trial includes one question to LexisAsk during the length of the trial.
To view the latest version of this document and thousands of others like it, sign-in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial.
Existing user? Sign-in
Take a free trial
Take a free trial
Rescission of a contractWhat is rescission of a contract?The remedy of rescission is available to a party whose consent, in entering into a contract, has been invalidated in some way:•the effect of rescinding a contract is to extinguish it and restore the parties to their pre-contractual
Drafting—2009 ActThe Perpetuities and Accumulations Act 2009 effectively disapplies the rule against perpetuities from future easements granted on or after 6 April 2010, so a draftsman now need not be concerned to specify a perpetuity period. Any restrictions on the exercise of the easement
PRA Rulebook—introduction for the insurance and reinsurance sectorOn 29 August 2015, the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) published the PRA Rulebook (Rulebook). The transition from the Handbook to the Rulebook was intended to benefit PRA-authorised firms, to access clearer and more concise
No deal Brexit—jurisdiction (UK and the Lugano Convention) [Archived]ARCHIVED: This Practice Note has been archived and is not maintained.This Practice Note has been produced in partnership with Guy Pendell, Liz Williams and Kushal Gandhi of CMS.This Practice Note covers the situation where the UK
0330 161 1234