EEA nationals: qualified persons—students and self-sufficient persons [Archived]

The following Immigration practice note provides comprehensive and up to date legal information covering:

  • EEA nationals: qualified persons—students and self-sufficient persons [Archived]
  • Students
  • Self-sufficient persons
  • Sufficient resources and where they can come from
  • Recourse to the social assistance system of the host EEA state
  • Comprehensive sickness insurance

EEA nationals: qualified persons—students and self-sufficient persons [Archived]

ARCHIVED: this Practice Note is no longer maintained as it covers the implementation of EU free movement law in the UK prior to IP completion day, on which date domestic legislation implementing EU free movement law was revoked, subject to certain savings and modifications. For further details, including of the relevant savings and the position of CJEU case law, see Practice Note: What does IP completion day mean for Immigration?. The Practice Note has been retained in archived form for historical interest, because EU law as previously implemented in the UK remains relevant in certain limited situations. For historical versions of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016, SI 2016/1052, including immediately prior to revocation, see For the ongoing development of EU free movement law in EU Member States, see: Immigration, employment & share incentives (EU Law)—overview.


European Economic Area (EEA) national students will gain a right of residence beyond three months under Directive 2004/38/EC (the Citizens' Directive) if they:

  1. are enrolled at a private or public establishment, which is accredited or financed from public funds on the basis of its legislation or administrative practice, for the principal purpose of following a course of study, including vocational training

  2. have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the UK, and

  3. provide a declaration, or demonstrate by such equivalent means as

Related documents:

Popular documents