The following Property guidance note provides comprehensive and up to date legal information covering:
Under section 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 (LGFA 1988), charities occupying commercial property qualify for a mandatory 80% discount on business rates, provided the property is used wholly or mainly for charitable purposes. Local authorities (LAs) also have the discretion to grant the remaining 20% as a further discount.
This can be relevant:
where the ratepayer is a charity and the property is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes
where the property is occupied by one or more organisations none of which is established or conducted for profit and each of whose main objects are charitable or otherwise philanthropic, or religious, or concerned with education, social welfare, science, literature or the fine arts
where the property is used wholly or mainly for the purposes of recreation and all or part of it is accepted for the purpose of a club, society or other organisation not established exclusively for profit
Section 69 of the Localism Act 2011 (LA 2011), replaces the limited circumstances in which LAs can currently give discretionary relief with a power to grant relief in any circumstances. LA 2011, s 69 is in force in Wales. It is currently only in force in England so far as necessary to enable a billing authority to make decisions and determinations prior to 1 April 2012,
**Trials are provided to all LexisPSL and LexisLibrary content, excluding Practice Compliance, Practice Management and Risk and Compliance, subscription packages are tailored to your specific needs. To discuss trialling these LexisPSL services please email customer service via our online form. Free trials are only available to individuals based in the UK. We may terminate this trial at any time or decide not to give a trial, for any reason. Trial includes one question to LexisAsk during the length of the trial.
To view the latest version of this document and thousands of others like it, sign-in to LexisPSL or register for a free trial.
Existing user? Sign-in
Take a free trial
0330 161 1234
To view our latest legal guidance content,sign-in to Lexis®PSL or register for a free trial.